Crispy Chicken Nori Patties
This Crispy Chicken Nori Patties dish can be served as a main dish or appetizer.
1 pound of ground chicken or minced chicken (thigh meat tastes bests for this recipe)
1 carrot, cubed
1 sheet toasted nori (seaweed)
Enough potato flour for coating (you can substitute with corn flour but potato flour will be crispier)
1 tbsp light Aloha shoyu
2 tbsps mirin
2 tbsps sake
2 tsps corn flour
2 tsps fresh ginger juice (or freshly grated ginger together with the juice)
Wasabi-mayonnaise Dipping Sauce:
4 tbsps mayonnaise
1 tsp light Aloha shoyu
1 tbsp wasabi
Lime-soy Dipping Sauce:
Juice of 1 lime
Grated rind of 1 lime
2 tbsps sake
2 tbsps light Aloha shoyu
Pinch of sugar
Toasted sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
1. Prepare the marinade (excluding egg and corn starch) in a large bowl. Lightly chop up the ground chicken again with a cleaver or large knife. Toast the seaweed sheets atop open flame to make it crackly and easier to tear up.
2. Add the ground chicken, torn seaweed and carrots into the bowl to marinade. Add the corn starch and egg. Mix well with a fork or chopsticks.
3. Heat up enough oil for shallow or deep frying. Once hot, turn heat to medium-low.
4. Spoon about 6 tbsps potato flour onto a plate or shallow bowl. Use a wet spoon to scoop up a portion of the ground chicken mixture and lightly coat with the potato flour. Set aside. Do the same until you have about 6 patties or enough for one batch to fry together. Fry for about 2-3 minutes.
5. Repeat with remaining chicken mixture. Drain on paper towels.
6. While the chicken patties are draining, prepare the sauce by simply mixing the ingredients listed above together.
7. Serve the patties hot with the dipping sauces.