This is a soup that is unbelievably simple to make and incredibly tasty! My mother has been making this soup for as long as I can remember and is one of our family's go-to comfort foods. The soup is made with beef shanks, bok choy (which we call white-stemmed cabbage), tomatoes and hawaiian salt/seasonings.
- 6 large beef shanks w/bone-in (2-3lbs)
- Water to cover meat
- 4-6 ripe tomatoes
- Hawaiian Salt (about 3 Tablespoons) add more later to taste
- Garlic Powder (1 Tablespoon)
- Pepper (to taste)
- Beef Broth (if necessary)
- 4 large bunches bok choy (slice stems and greens about 1/2" and separate)
- Put beef shanks in a large pot and cover with water, bring to boil
- Add tomatoes, hawaiian salt, pepper and garlic powder
- Turn heat down to medium and cook for 2.5-3 hours (check meat for tenderness at 2.5 hours)
- When meat is tender, add only the stems (white part) of the bok choy to the pot and cook for 10 minutes
- Add green leafy part of bok choy to the pot and turn off fire. Allow to rest for 10-15 minutes.