Short Rib Stew (Galbi Jim)
This is the perfect recipe. It’s one of my favorite Korean dishes! Savory, short-ribby goodness, swimming in a sweet, soy broth with hearty root vegetables and shiitake mushrooms.
5 lbs short ribs for braising, rinsed in cold water
¾ cup low sodium Aloha shoyu
½ cup sugar
1 Asian pear, peeled and grated
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons mirin
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 medium Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
2 carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
1 cup shitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced in half
2 green onions, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seedsOrder Kalbi/Bulgogi Sauce
1. Place short ribs in a large pot and fill with water until ribs are just covered.
2. Place pot over stove and bring to a boil. Boil ribs for 20 minutes.
3. Drain and rinse excess fat off short ribs.
4. Place ribs back into the pot along with soy sauce, sugar, Asian pear, garlic, mirin, sesame oil, black pepper, and 2 ½ cups water.
5. Cover pot and bring to a boil. Boil for 20 minutes.
6. Add potatoes and carrots to the pot, cover and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour.
7. Serve braised short rib stew over rice and top with green onions and sesame seeds.