Macadamia Crusted Chicken w/Papaya Pineapple Relish
1/2 cup Aloha shoyu
1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon mirin (Japanese rice wine)
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
1 garlic clove, minced
5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup macadamia nuts, finely chopped
3/4 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup papaya, diced
1 cup pineapple, diced
1/3 cup sugar
Order Hawaii's Best Local Dishes - These are the recipes passed on from friends, coworkers, and relatives; the local favorites that are found at potlucks and beach barbecues through the Islands.
1. Whisk together first 5 ingredients and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a bowl. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, and place in a large heavy-duty zip-top plastic freezer bag. Pour marinade over chicken; seal bag, turning to coat chicken. Chill 1 hour, turning occasionally.
2. Combine macadamia nuts and panko in a shallow dish. Place flour in a separate shallow dish; place eggs in another shallow dish.
3. Preheat oven to 400°. Remove chicken from marinade, discarding marinade. Dredge chicken in flour, and dip in eggs, shaking off excess. Dredge in crumb mixture.
4. Heat 2 tablespoons oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat until butter melts. Cook 3 chicken breasts over medium heat 4 minutes; turn and cook 3 minutes or until golden. Transfer chicken to a lightly greased jellyroll pan. Repeat procedure with remaining 2 tablespoons oil and 1 tablespoon butter.
5. Bake at 400° for 17 minutes or until chicken is done. Serve with Papaya-Pineapple Relish.
Place all ingredients in a medium heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes, stirring occasionally