This is a traditional Portuguese Easter Bread.
- 14 oz Flour
- 1/2 oz Fresh Yeast
- 1 1/2 Caster Sugar
- 3oz Butter
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/2 pint Milk
- 1 teaspoon Powdered Aniseed
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- 1 beaten egg for brushing
1. In a bowl combine the yeast, 1/4 of the flour, a 1/3 of the milk (warmed) and half the sugar.
Mix together to make a dough, cover and leave in a warm place for 1/2 hour
2. Beat the eggs with the salt and spices and remaining milk and sugar.
3. Kneed in the rest of the flour and egg mix to the dough gradually.
4. Kneed in the butter.
5. Cover the dough and leave it to rise for about three hours in a warm place.
6. For traditional portuguese Folar, break the dough into two (or leave whole) and place the eggs on top.
7. Make a cross with two rolled lengths of dough to put on the top, holding the egg in place.
Brush the bread with the beaten egg.
8.Cook at 425F until golden brown.