Layered Veggie Sushi
This is a delicious Layered Veggie Sushi recipe. Layered sushi, similar to pan sushi...feel free to press the sushi into a pan if you find it easier to build the layers.
Posted By: K. Taako
Not rated yet
| 2 people have saved this recipe
Prep Time: 20 | Cook Time: 30 | Ready In: 50
- 1.5 cups sushi rice, washed
- 2.5 cups water
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 4 sheets nori
- 15-20 think asparagus spears
- 1/3 cucumber
- 1 whole avocado
- Shredded carrots, small handful
- Cook your sushi rice and allow to cool for 15 minutes at room temperature. Slice your vegetables thin, 1/8 inch or so, salt lightly, and set aside. Blanch the asparagus for 3-4 minutes, until bright green and a little softened. Chill in icewater.
- Mix rice with vinegar and sugar.
- Lay out a sheet of nori and press about 2/3 cup rice into the nori, leaving a border around the rice. Press cucumber across rice.
- Lay out another sheet of nori, and repeat the rice spreading step above. Turn over and press the riced nori onto the cukes, aligning the nori.
- Gently press another 2/3 cup rice onto the 2nd layer of nori. Lay your asparagus out in a flat layer. Press your carrots in and around them. Lay another piece of nori, then rice, then turn it over and press it onto the asparagus and carrot layer.
- Then another layer of rice, gently pressed onto the nori, then,avocado in an even layer. Once more, rice the last sheet of nori with rice on the other rolling mat, turn it over, and lay it over the avocado layer. You are basically building each layer upon another.
- Cover with a sheet of wax paper and a wide, heavy plate. Press the sushi for 10-15 minutes, using extra weight if necessary.
- With a wet knife, gently cut the layered sushi into nice squares. Be sure to trim the edges of your napolean so that the border of plain nori you left on each sheet is gone, and the edges are clean. Cut to whater size/shape you prefer.