Portuguese Sausage Chili
I've been wanting to try this for a long time and I'm glad that I finally did! This isn't a chili recipe with Portuguese sausage added, its chili made only with Portuguese sausage ground up, no ground beef. The flavor is incredibly rich and delicious. You can add heat by using the spicy sausage or use different brands of Portuguese sausage as well...
- 2 pounds portuguese sausage, skin removed
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely minced
- 2 whole canned chipotle peppers, seeded and finely diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder more or less to taste
- ½ tablespoon ground black pepper
- 2 to 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 15-ounce cans crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can chili, kidney, pinto beans or whatever you prefer
- 1 cup canned beef broth
- ½ cup sour cream
Order Killer Chili Cookbook - Killer Chili serves up the hottest chili recipes from 50 renowned restaurants in the US and Canada. This latestmouthwatering volume of the Killer series follows on the heels of the popular Killer Ribs and Killer Pies, and presents the best bowl-filling fare in North America
Brown sausage in a 5-quart stock pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and bell pepper. Cook over medium-high heat until vegetables are soft but have not begun to brown, about 10 minutes. Add chipotle peppers, chili powder, black pepper, salt, tomatoes, beans and broth. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes.
Serve chili in bowls, topped with spoonfuls of the sour cream (optional).
Yield: Serves 6.
Order Hot Sauce Sampler Pack - Dave'sCool Cayenne Pepper Sauce- So Cool, It's Hot! Dave's Roasted Garlic-Even Vampires Love This Sauce! Dave's Hurtin' Jalapeno-So Green, It's Obscene! Dave's Temporary Insanity Sauce-Temporary Pain, Lingering Pleasure.