Vegetarian Char Siu Tofu
I saw this Vegetarian Char Siu Tofu recipe and had to share it with all of you. Its from Phamfatale.com by a very talented blogger. Here is her recipe.
- 2 (12-ounce) packages firm tofu
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 red onion, half chopped, the rest cut into thin wedges
- 1 (2-inch) piece fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, cut in thirds
- ¼ cup date syrup (or honey)
- 1 pinch red food coloring powder (optional)
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce (or oyster sauce)
- ¼ cup Aloha shoyu
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry (optional)
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce, to taste
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon salt, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped
Order Nutritionist Manuel Villacorta's Eating Free - Tired of dieting, feed your body with sound nutritional advise and techniques that Manuel Villacorta has used on his clients for lasting results using nutrition as a means to lose weight, not starvation.
Prepping the ginger: Peel the ginger with a paring knife, thinly slice it, then cut into long matchsticks. Set aside.
Prepping the tofu: Cut the tofu into 1-inch slices. In a wok, heat 2 tablespoons of canola oil. Pan-fry the pieces of tofu on both sides until golden. The tofu should have a nice fried outer crust and still be moist inside. Transfer the tofu onto paper towels. Once the tofu pieces are cool enough to handle, cut them into quarters. Set aside.
Making char siu sauce: In a small saucepan, combine the date syrup (or honey) and soy sauce. Bring to a boil, let simmer for 2-3 minutes. Turn off the heat. Add hoisin sauce (or oyster sauce), five-spice powder, red food coloring (if used) and dry sherry (if used). Stir well and set aside.
In the same wok, add the rest of the oil. Once it's hot, add the chopped red onion. Cook until fragrant, then add the garlic and ginger. As the garlic becomes slightly golden, add the tofu and stir fry until fragrant. Transfer the tofu to a platter, leaving as much oil as possible in the wok.
Add the mushrooms. Sauté for 3-4 minutes until until they become shiny. Transfer to a platter.
Add the char siu sauce and ½ cup water. Once the sauce thickens, add the fried tofu and chili garlic sauce. Stir-fry for about 3-4 minutes. Return the shiitake mushrooms and the onion wedges to the wok . Stir constantly.
Check seasoning. Add salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cilantro. Toss well. Drizzle with sesame oil.
Serve immediately with steamed rice.