Chinese Chicken Salad w/Chinese Mustard Vinaigrette
We've all had Chinese chicken salads, but the Chinese mustard vinaigrette really gives this version a nice kick!
Chinese Mustard Vinaigrette
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons dry Chinese mustard (may substitute standard dry mustard powder)
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Aloha shoyu
- 2 tablespoons light sesame oil
- 2 to 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- freshly ground pepper
- One 3 pound chicken (its cavity filled with celery, carrots, onions, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper)
- 2 ounces unsalted butter, melted
- 2 small heads or 1 medium head Napa cabbage
- 1 cup romaine lettuce, cut into ¼ inch julienne strips
- 1/2 cucumber cut into julienne strips
- 1 carrot cut into thin julienne strips
- 1/2 red bell pepper sliced thin, julienne
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- green onions for garnish
Order Eating Free - Reveals why the prevailing wisdom on weight loss--low-calorie, no carbs, high-intensity exercise--sharply clashes with the facts of human biology and human nature, setting dieters up for failure, again and again. He offers a welcome alternative: a scientifically sound, sensible, effective, and truly pleasurable way of eating.
Place all the vinaigrette ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Season to taste. Set aside.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Place the chicken on a rack in a roasting pan and baste it with some of the butter. Roast for about 1 1/2 hours, or until just done. (The meat near the joints should still be very slightly pink). Baste every 15 to 20 minutes with the butter and the drippings.
Select 4 to 8 nice leaves from the Napa cabbage and reserve them. Slice the remaining cabbage into ¼ inch julienne strips. Shred the meat from the breasts and thighs of the chicken. Combine the chicken, cabbage, romaine and julienne vegetables in a bowl and toss with enough vinaigrette to coat the salad nicely. Arrange the reserved Napa cabbage leaves around the edge of a large serving plate. Mount the salad in the center and sprinkle with sesame seeds.