Tempura Shrimp Cocktail
This is a nice twist on the classic shrimp cocktail made with a tropical salsa instead of cocktail sauce...served in a wine glass for presentation.
- 12 large prawns, shelled and deveined
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon togarashi pepper (optional)
- 5 ounces soda water
- 3 cups oil for frying
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup mango, diced
- 1/2 cup pineapple, diced
- 1/8 cup chiffonade mint
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 2 bird’s eye chilies, finely chopped and seeds removed
1. Dissolve sugar in lime juice and fish sauce. Add and mix all the remaining ingredients for the salsa. Pour into four glasses. Set aside to chill.
2. In a pot, heat oil to 300ºF. Meanwhile, mix flour, togarashi pepper, and soda water. Season the mixture with salt and pepper. Stir mixture until you get a medium consistency.
3. Dip prawns in the batter mixture. Gently lower each prawn into hot oil. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown. Place prawns in the glass containing the salsa. Serve immediately.