Black Bean Dungeness Crab
I love the savory and salty flavors of dungeness crab bathed in a buttery black bean sauce. Get ready to use your hands and lick those fingers!!
- 3 pound Dungeness crab
- 3 Tbs oil
- 1/2 cup fresh ginger, julienne
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 Tbs fermented black beans
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp hot red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 1/2 Tbs cornstarch mixed with 2 Tbs water
- 4 green onions, julienne
- 2 Tbs butter
- 1 Tbs chopped Chinese parsley (cilantro)
- pinch hawaiian salt
1. Rinse crab. Remove the top shell and separate the claws from the body, discarding head and innards. Crack the claws and quarter the body.
2. Heat oil and stir-fry crab with half the ginger for 1 minute. Add half the broth and the pepper flakes (if you want it spicy), cover and steam for 5 minutes. Remove crab to a heated serving platter.
3. Add remaining broth, the black beans, the sugar and bring to a boil. Blend cornstarch with water to make a smooth paste and stir into broth. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, until thickened. Stir in remaining ginger, green onions, and Chinese parsley. Fold in butter.
4. Pour over crab and serve immediately.