My mother's family loved Nishime and made it often, my grandfather being the cook in the family. My mother learned how to cook from him, and we ate this a lot when I was little. Delicious and comfort food!
- 4 carrots
- 3 cups gobo
- 4 oz konbu - tied in 1 inch knots, soaked
- 15 shiitake mushroom, coin size caps
- 1 taro, precooked in large dice
- 1 can whole bamboo shoots, blanched 2 times
- 2 cup sugar snap peas
- 2 cup chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1 cup Aloha shoyu
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup mirin
- 1 konnyaku, diced
- 2 Tbs ginger
- 2 Tbs garlic
- Add meat if desired
Order Hawaii's Bento Box Cookbook - Hawaii's Bento Box Cookbook 2nd Course presents a new assortment of imaginative bento and ono dishes that will make lunch a one-of-a-kind treat for even the pickiest of eaters.
If you are adding meat, brown meat first then add stock, shoyu, brown sugar, mirin, ginger and simmer. Add remaining ingredients and cook till done.