Butter Prawns w/Curry Leaves
- 2 cup of desiccated coconut
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 tablespoon sugar
- 2 Tablespoons light Aloha shoyu
- 2 Tablespoons Chinese rice wine or sake
- 2 lb large shrimps, shells on, heads on, deveined
- 1 cup of canola oil for deep frying
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 red jalapeno chilies – sliced
- 10 sprigs Hawaiian grown curry leaves
- 4 cloves of garlic – minced
1. In a clean pan over medium heat, dry fry coconut till golden and fragrant. Set aside.
2. Mix salt, sugar, soy sauce and rice wine together. Set aside.
3. Clean prawns – trim legs and tentacles, deveined. Keep shells and heads on. Pat dry thoroughly.
4. Heat about ½ inch oil, and fry the prawns in small batches. Drain and set aside. Remove all but 3 Tablespoons of the shrimp oil.
5. Add butter to the pan high heat. Add chilies, curry leaves, garlic and salt and fry for 1-2 minutes.
6. Add sauce mixture. Toss in coconut. Toss in fried prawns.
7. Stir fry over high heat for another 1 min.
8. Garnish with cilantro.