Ono Sparerib Soup
Perfect for cooler weather, spare rib soup, guaranteed to warm you up!!
- 2 lbs. pork spareribs or country style ribs, trimmed, 2-3-inch pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, as needed
- 8-9 c. water
- 1 medium turnip, peeled, 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2-inches ginger, peeled, crushed
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1TB Hawaiian salt
- ½ TB Tabasco sauce
- 2 whole star anise
- ½ medium head cabbage, coarsely chopped
Optional: add carrots, potatoes or your favorite vegetables
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Generously season ribs with salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet; fat side up. Bake 20-25 minutes, turn ribs; continue baking 15 minutes until browned. Transfer ribs into a large saucepot. Cover with water. Add carrots, turnip, onion, ginger, garlic, salt, Tabasco and anise. Bring to a rapid boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 2 hours until pork is tender. Add potatoes and cabbage and continue cooking 5-8 minutes until potatoes are cooked through. Serves 6-8.