Vegetarian Gandule Rice
Can't have pasteles without gandule rice. This is a vegetarian adaptation of this popluar Puerto Rican dish.
- 1 cup rice
- 1/2 cup pigeon peas (dried beans that are cooked or frozen, do not use canned)
- 2 tbs of canola oil
- 1/4 onion, diced
- 1/4 green pepper, diced
- 8 sprigs of cilantro
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp Goya Sofrito
- 1 tbsp Goya Recaito
- 1 teaspoon of Liquid Smoke Concentrate
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Goya Sazon de Jambon (or you can use a vegetarian meat-flavored bouillion mix/cube)
- 1/8 tsp Adobo seasoning
- 1/8 tsp curry powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp oregano
- 1/8 tsp thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of Achiote seasoning
- 1 tbsp capers
- 8-10 spanish olives with pimento or black olives
- 1 1/3 cups water for cooking rice
1. Sautee onion + bell pepper with oil in dutch oven pot until translucent
2. Add garlic. Then add all seasonings (except cilantro), capers and olives. Continue to sauté all.
3. Stir in pigeon peas, add rice. Pour water over mixture.Add cilantro sprigs then bring to a boil for 5 minutes.
4. Cover pot with foil and then with the lid. Cook under low heat for about 20 minutes.
5. Remove from heat. Stir rice into a dome formation. Cover again and let rest/steam for 20 minutes.