Char Siu Chicken Recipe
Char Siu. In Hawaii, we all grew up eating this in so many ways. A few slices in your saimin, chopped up in fried rice, straight from the meat hook at the China Town roast pork and char siu man's stand, inside a manapua (char siu bao).
- Char Siu Sauce (from Taste of Aloha)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Aloha shoyu soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp. sesame oil
- 1/8 tsp. Chinese Five Spice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. sherry
- 1 tbsp. Hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp. red food coloring (optional)
Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Place boneless skinless chicken thighs in a zip top bag and marinate meat 24-48 hours. Grill on a med-high heat for about 8 minutes. Flip chicken and grill for an addiitional 8 minutes or until chicken is cooked thoroughly and no longer pink.
This sauce may also be used on pork for real char siu.
* I usually make a double recipe to soak my chicken. This ensures that each piece is well coated.