Healthier Baked Chicken Katsu Salad
A healthier salad using a low-fat blue cheese dressing and a baked version of chicken katsu.
- 2-4 wedges of lettuce
- Cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup nonfat buttermilk, or nonfat milk
- 1/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar, or white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese, (1 ounce)
Preheat oven or toaster oven to 400 F.
Pat the breasts dry with a paper towel. Season on both sides with salt and pepper. Dredge in the flour. Then put into a bowl with the beaten egg and turn to coat with egg. Place the panko breadcrumbs on a plate, then coat the chicken with the breadcrumbs.
Place the breaded chicken onto a pan and bake for 20 minutes until cooked through. Brown the tops under broiler if you want it extra crispy.
Whisk mayonnaise, buttermilk (or milk), yogurt, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper in a medium bowl until smooth. Add cheese and stir, mashing with a spoon until the cheese is incorporated
Place wedge of lettuce on plate, add baked chicken katsu, sprinkle with blue cheese crumbles and cherry tomatoes. Drizzle blue cheese dressing on lettuce and chicken.