Mom's Potato Salad
This Easter, I made potato salad. I modified it slightly, but this is the original recipe.
- 6 salad potatoes, boiled and skinned
- 12 eggs, hard boiled, grated
- 1 carrot grated and excess liquid squeezed out*
- 1 tablespoon finely minced onion*
- 2 cups mayonnaise (Start with 2 cups, add more if necessary)
- 1 can chopped olives
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 can water-packed tuna, drained
* items added that aren't in my original recipe
Put washed potatoes and eggs in pot and add enough water to cover ingredients. Boil for 30-45 minutes. Test potatoes with a knife or long fork. Ensure that potatoes are completely cooked.
Once cooked, remove from heat. Skin potatoes and put in large bowl along with peeled eggs. I like to refrigerate the potatoes and eggs before cutting/grating....this prevents them from falling apart. Once chilled, cut potatoes, grate eggs. Add salt, pepper to taste - do not over season... You can adjust seasoning before serving. Grate carrots and squeeze out excess liquid. It helps to rinse under water then squeezing excess liquid. Add carrots, chopped olives, mayonnaise, tuna, mustard and mix well. Chill for at least a couple of hours before serving. When ready to serve, add more mayonnaise if necessary and add salt/pepper if necessary.