Byron's II Wilted Spinach Salad
A recipe shared with customers from the long-time favorite restaurant located in The Ala Moana Shopping Center. One of it's most popular salad dishes, I often prepare this dish as an entree.
- 1/3 lb. bacon, 1/2-inch pieces
- 10 oz. baby spinach leaves, rinsed
- 2 c. mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- 1 1/2 TB Coleman’s dry mustard
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1/4 c. white wine vinegar
- 1 TB Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. olive oil
- freshly cracked black pepper
In a skillet over medium heat; saute bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels, reserving 2 tablespoons bacon oil. In a large mixing bowl; tear spinach into bite-sized pieces; toss with bacon, mushrooms, cheese and eggs. Into same skillet over medium high heat; combine reserved bacon oil with mustard and sugar. Bring to boil, whisking constantly. Whisk in vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and salt. Slowly add olive oil while whisking.
For service: pour hot dressing onto salad; toss until well-coated. Sprinkle with freshly cracked black pepper. Makes 6 appetizer servings.