I recall the first time my grandfather made this dish in our home. He had done all his preparation and place it in the oven before going out to do some yard work. Timing it perfectly, when the work outside was done, so was this delicious dish. The original dish was a simple one, flavored simply with shiitake mushrooms, green onion and soy sauce.
- 1 (20 oz.) block tofu, drained well, crumbled
- 8 lg. shiitake mushrooms, soaked in water, drained, stems removed, thinly sliced
- 6 dried ebi (shrimp), minced
- 1/2 c. bamboo shoots, rinsed, drained, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 c. water chestnuts, chopped
- ½ c. mayonnaise
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 TB oyster sauce
- 2 TB chili garlic paste
- 2 TB Aloha shoyu
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease an 8-inch baking pan. In a mixing bowl; combine all ingredients. Transfer into prepared pan; bake 40-45 minutes.