This is a traditional Thai dish that I altered using salmon instead of ground pork. I also left the salmon in nice chunks instead of ground.
- 1 fresh salmon filet, cubed
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice (about 3 limes)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 2 cups thinly vertically sliced red onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 serrano chiles, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
Combine fresh lime juice, sugar, fish sauce, salt and crushed red pepper in bowl, stirring until sugar is completely dissolved. Heat oil and sesame oil in skillet and add garlic, onions and chiles and cook for 2-3 minutes, add salmon to hot pan and cook for 5-6 minutes. Stir in lime juice mixture and cook an additional minute and turn off heat. Garnish with mint and basil and serve in lettuce cups.