Filipino Chicken Stew Recipe
A simple, hearty Filipino style stew that I grew up eating.
- 2 lbs chicken thighs
- 5 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 small onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 small green bell pepper, sliced
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
In a large pot, heat the vegetable oil. Saute the onions and garlic in the oil until the onion is translucent. Brown the chicken thighs in the oil, onion, and garlic mixture. Add tomatoes and sauté for 2 minutes. Add water and bay leaf and bring the pot to a rolling boil for 3 minutes. Cover the pot and place on low heat. Simmer until the chicken is just about tender, approximately 12 to 15 minutes. Add potatoes and carrots. Continue to simmer the pot on low heat until the potatoes and carrots are soft, approximately 20 minutes. Add bell peppers. Simmer for an additional 1 to 2 minutes, until the peppers are slightly soft. Remove the bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper to taste.