Chocolate Dipped Macaroons - Low Carb, Gluten Free, Sugar Free, Dairy Free
If you’re looking for a really easy, delicious, healthful, and pretty Christmas cookie, look no further. Coconut and egg whites are the main ingredients and these cookies are grain free and low carb to boot! The little cookie haystacks are formed with your fingers, so this cookie is especially kid friendly to prepare.
My daughter Rebecca and I have a Christmas cookie baking tradition. We bake our cookies on Christmas eve and start first thing in the morning. At the beginning, we’re both full of enthusiasm and pep. But somewhere around the 3/4 mark, rolling and cutting out cookies feels less like fun and more like a lot of work. So we welcome these cookies because they’re so simple and yummy. And dipping crispy coconut pyramids in melted chocolate is absurdly fun. Another bonus is that these macaroons are sturdy, which is a plus in the low carb, gluten free cookie world, where it’s more difficult to bake a cookie which holds together well and isn’t fragile. This recipe was inspired by a recipe on Cook’s Illustrated website, on of my favorites.
For more delicious and healthy recipes, please visit Lisa's website preheatto350.com
- For the cookies:
- 1 cup unsweetened, full fat, coconut milk
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 – 3/4 cup xylitol
- 6 cups unsweetened shredded dried coconut (about 8 ounces)
- For the chocolate:
- 8 ounces bittersweet or unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cup powdered xylitol (for unsweetened chocolate), grind xylitol in food processor to powder it
- Adjust oven racks to upper-middle and lower-middle positions in oven and preheat oven to 375°. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together coconut milk, egg whites, vanilla, and xylitol in a large bowl. Add shredded coconut and mix with a spatula until evenly moistened. Taste and add more xylitol if required. Chill dough for 15 minutes.
- Form heaping tablespoons of dough into balls and place them on the cookie sheets, spaced about 1 inch apart. You should have about 24 balls. Form balls into haystacks with your fingertips.
- Bake until golden brown, about 15 – 17 minutes. Switch cookie sheets from top to bottom racks halfway through baking.
- Cool cookies.
- If desired, dip the bottom of cookies into melted chocolate: Melt chocolate in a double boiler or place a small metal bowl over a small pot of simmering water to create a double boiler. (Bowl must be larger than the pot and not touching the water). If using unsweetened chocolate, stir in xylitol to taste.
- Place dipped cookies back on parchment paper covered cookie sheets and cool in the fridge.