This is a super easy casserole thats even better than taco night - prepare ingredients, layer in casserole dish, bake and serve! Add ground portuguese sausage to the ground beef mixture for and added island touch!
- 1 1/2 lb. ground beef, Portuguese sausage, chicken or turkey*
- 16 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
- 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 TB chili powder
- 1 TB ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 12 oz. container cottage cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 lb. Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 11-12 oz. bag tortilla chips, crushed
- 1 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
*note – ground Portuguese sausage added in with ground beef is delicious
In a large skillet over medium heat; brown beef; drain well. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Simmer 5-6 minutes; remove from heat. In a mixing bowl; combine egg and cottage cheese. Stir into beef mixture. Preheat oven to 350 degrees; lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking pan. Spread half of beef mixture into bottom of pan. Top with half of jack cheese and half of chips. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Bake 30 minutes. Allow to sit 5 minutes before serving.