Chef Grant Sato's Andagi
KCC Chef Instructor Grant Sato makes his take on the popular Okinawan donut (andagi) for us on Cooking Hawaiian Style.
- 4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1) Combine the all of the dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately, making sure each is mixed well
2) Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix by hand until the batter forms a lumpless thick texture and chill for 1 hour before frying(batter can be chilled for up to 3 days before frying)
3) Heat about 4 inches vegetable oil to 325 degrees F and carefully drop about 2T-3T of batter by hand into the oil and cook until golden brown on all sides
Note: If you are adding 2 tablespoons of matcha powder, reduce the flour amount by 2 tablespoons. To use wet ingredients such as (mashed banana, mashed sweet potato, kabocha, or fresh poi, etc) add wet ingredient and reduce the milk by the same amount... ie. 1/2 cup poi, reduce milk by 1/2 cup etc...