Portuguese Sausage & Clam Stew
Portuguese Sausage & Clam Stew - back to the portagee (portuguese) roots... I had this dish many years ago in Boston where there is a large Portuguese community.
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 portuguese sausage
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 can (14 1/2 oz.) chopped tomatoes
1 Tbs. fish sauce
1 can (15 oz.) garbanzo beans, drained and
24 small clams in shell
1/3 cup chopped parsley
- In a wide sauté pan over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil and crumble in the sausage meat (discard the casings).
- Stir the sausage until it breaks up and starts to brown, then add the onion. Cook, stirring, until the sausage is browned and the onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes, 1 cup water and the fish sauce, then add the garbanzo beans.
- Let come to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer until the sauce thickens, about 15 minutes.
- Add the clams and shake the pan to coat the clams with the sauce; increase the heat to medium. Cover the pan and cook until the clams open, about 10 minutes (discard any that do not open).
- Stir in the parsley and serve. Serves 4 to 6.