Taro Brand Poi Kulolo Ice Cream
Its not too late to beat the heat with this original Taro Brand recipe for Poi Kulolo Ice Cream! I developed this recipe for Taro Brand as a way to use poi in new and exciting ways. I also experimented using stabilizers which gives the ice cream a nice silky finish. This recipe is really easy to make and is ono!
- 1 lb. Taro Brand Fresh or Fresh Frozen Poi (prepared)*
- 13.5 ounce can coconut milk
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon Cremodan ice cream stabilizer (optional)
- 8 tablespoons brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 15 drops purple food coloring (optional)
Put prepared poi*, coconut milk, heavy whipping cream, egg yolks, sugar, honey, food coloring and corn syrup in a bowl and mix with an electric mixer for 2-3 minutes until all ingredients are combined well. For a creamier, smoother textured ice cream, use Cremodan ice cream stabilizer. To prepare stabilizer, add 1 tablespoon of the stabilizer to a small glass bowl and add 1 cup of the ice cream mixture. Mix well with a fork until the mixture is thoroughly combined. Add mixture to the rest of the ice cream mixture and beat with electric mixer for another 2 minutes ensuring that all of the ingredients are thouroughly combined. Put mixture in refrigerator and allow to cool overnight. To make ice creeam, pour mixture in to ice cream maker and follow manufacturers directions. Once a soft-serve consistancy is reached, put ice cream back in freezer for at least 2-3 hours before serving.
* To prepare fresh frozen poi, remove from freezer and allow to sit at room temperature for 2 hours. Open package and break poi into small pieces. Add poi pieces to a microwave safe bowl, add 1/4 cup water and microwave on high for 4 minutes or until smooth. You can whisk the poi with a fork to smooth it out. Once smooth, cover poi with 1/4 cup water and refrigerate for 3-4 hours. When ready to use, pour out excess water.