BAMBOO SHOOT SOUP
I once had a get together cancelled due to a sickness in the household. When asked, if there was anything I could do ?? Perhaps make a pot of soup ?? This bamboo shoot soup recipe was quickly given to me over the phone straight from the ailing individual. I make this often.
- 4 c. chicken stock
- 1/2 c. bamboo shoots, thinly sliced, rinse well
- 4 shiitake mushrooms, soaked, stemmed; thinly sliced
- 1 TB rice wine vinegar
- 2 TB light Aloha shoyu
- pinch salt, white pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp. cornstarch mixed with 1 TB chicken stock
- 1 large egg, well beaten
- 3 stalks green onion, thinly sliced.
In a large saucepan over medium high heat; bring stock to a boil. Add bamboo shoots, mushrooms, vinegar and soy sauce. Season. Cook 10-15 minutes. Stir in cornstarch mixture and bring soup slowly back to a boil. Stir until slightly thicken. Reduce heat. Gently stir in egg, garnish with green onions.