Vegetable Congee (Rice Porridge)
A comforting dish, similar to the Japanese Zosui and Okayu, congee is normally simmered for a long period of time, until the dish has a creamy sticky texture. One of my Chinese students mentioned his family made it more often with the consistency of soup than porridge.
- 1 c. rice, washed, drained
- 10 c. water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 TB vegetable oil
- ½ lb. won bok cabbage, shredded
- ½ lb. bok choy, thinly sliced
- 5 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked, stems removed, thinly sliced
- 3 stalks green onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. salt Garnish:
- 1 TB sesame seed oil, 3 TB chopped green onion, green parts only
In a skillet over medium heat; saute vegetables in oil; season with salt. Set aside. In a large saucepan over medium high heat; combine rice, water and salt. Bring to a rapid boil. Reduce heat. Stir in vegetable mixture. Simmer 2 hours.
For service; drizzle with sesame seed oil. Top with additional green onion. Serves 6-8.