HOT AND SOUR TOFU SOUP
Hot and Sour Tofu Soup - a classic recipe favorite enjoyed by us all. Spicy and flavorful, this is a hearty dish. Feel free to adjust heat to your taste.
- 1/2 c. pork belly, fat trimmed; thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. each Aloha shoyu, cornstarch, dry sherry
- ½ tsp. white pepper
- 2 TB vegetable oil
- 5 1/2 c. chicken broth
- 2 TB Aloha shoyu
- 1/2 c. bamboo shoots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 c. firm tofu, drained; thinly sliced
- 2 TB cornstarch, with 2 TB water
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 TB Chinese black vinegar, as desired
- 2 tsp. chili garlic paste, as desired
- 1 tsp. sesame seed oil
- 1/2 tsp. sugar Garnish:
- chopped green onion
In a small mixing bowl, combine pork, soy sauce, cornstarch, sherry and pepper. In a large saucepan, saute pork in oil. Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; add bamboo shoots and tofu. Simmer 2 minutes. Add cornstarch mixture and eggs, stirring vigorously. Add remaining ingredients.
For service: Garnish with green onions. Serves 4.