Wendell’s Tofu Soup
Tofu soup with ground pork. This is an adaption of my brother in law’s favorite soup. A favorite in his household. All the comforting flavors of a Thai Noodle Soup.
- 1/2 lb. ground pork
- 1 TB vegetable oil
- 5 c. chicken broth
- ½ small head won bok cabbage, 2-inch pieces
- 8 oz. blk. firm tofu, 1-inch cubes
- 1 (1 oz.) pkg. dried bean threads, softened in cold water, cut into 3-inch lengths, drained
- 1(10 oz.) can straw mushrooms, rinsed, drained
- 2 TB patis (fish sauce)
- 2 TB Aloha shoyu
- 1 tsp. mirin
- 2 stalks green onion, chopped
- freshly ground white pepper, as needed
- garnish: ¼ c. chopped cilantro
In a saucepan over medium high heat; brown pork in oil. Add broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Add cabbage, tofu, noodles, mushroom, patis, soy sauce and mirin. Simmer 10-15 minutes. Add green onion. Taste for seasoning.
For service: Garnish with cilantro. Serves 2-3.