Peel and Eat Shrimp, Portuguese Style
This Portuguese Style Peel and Eat Shrimp makes a tasty, savory dish! You'll be licking your fingers!
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large very ripe tomato, peeled, seeded, and diced ( about 1 cup)
- 1 bay leaf, torn in half
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbs. finely chopped fresh Chinese parsley (cilantro)
- 1/8 tsp. crushed dried red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3-1/2 lb( 16 to 20 per lb.) unshelled shrimp, rinsed
- 1/2 tsp. coarse salt, or to taste
- 2 Tbs. butter
- Chopped Italian flat leaf parsley, for garnish
Heat oil in a 3 quart saucepan over medium-high heat; add the onion and saute until golden brown. Stir in tomato, bay leaf, garlic, Chinese parsley, and red pepper; cook over high heat until mixture is soft, about 15 minutes. Stir in wine, and boil for about 3 minutes. Add the shrimp and salt; stir gently. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until shrimp is cooked, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the shrimp to a serving dish, cover to keep warm. Add butter to the tomato mixture ; pour into a blender and blend until smooth.
Serve the pureed mixture as dip for the shrimp as you peel them. Makes 6 servings.