Loaded Taro Cakes
4 lbs taro or yam (peeled, cut into small cubes)
2 Chinese sausage (chopped into small pieces)
5 black mushrooms (soaked in water till soft, chopped into small pieces)
1/2 cup dried shrimps (chopped into small pieces)
1 cup rice flour
3/4 cup potato starch flour
2 tbsp wheat starch flour
2 1/2 + 1 cups water
1/4 tsp five spice powder
1 tbsp Aloha shoyu
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3 scallions (chopped)
2 red chillies (de-seed and chopped)
6 shallots (peeled, sliced and pan fried till golden brown)
1. Mix the flour together and sift the flour. Add in 1 cup of water and mix well.
2. Heat up a Large pan/wok with 2 tbsp oil stir fry chopped mushrooms, Chinese sausage, dried shrimps till fragrant. Dish up.
3. In the same pan/wok, stir fry the taro cubes with five spice powder till fragrant.
4. Add in 2 1/2 cups of water to the taro cubes and bring to boil. Turn to low heat and cook till taro cubes become slightly tender.
5. Scoop up 1/4 cup of taro and mash into paste. Put back into the pan/wok. Add seasonings of soy sauce, salt and pepper. Stir well.
6. Add in other cooked ingredients: mushrooms, chinese sausage, dried shrimp. mix well.
7. Pour in the flour mixture and stir throughly. The mixture will start to become sticky. Add in some fried shallotsif desired. Turn off heat.
8. Pour the mixture into 8" cake mold. Steam for 45 minutes.
9. When it is done let cool a bit, top with chopped scallions, red chillies and fried shallots. Serve with hoisin and chili sauce.