Okazuya Chow Funn
Most of us that were brought up in the islands, remember going to the small hole in the wall, mom and pop okazuya stands. They made the best tasting chow funn noodles!
Although there are many variations for chow funn, I love the recipe on the Hula Brand chow funn package. You can use pork, chicken, char siu or just leave the meat out if you're a vegetarian.
This is the closet I have found to the old time chow funn!
- 1/2 lb. char siu or pork
- 1/2 lb. luncheon meat or ham
- 1 T. oil
- 1 piece (almond size) ginger, mashed
- 1/2 cup carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pkg. (12 oz) bean sprouts
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. MSG (optional) I don't use MSG
- 1T oyster sauce
- 1 pkg. (7 oz) Hula Brand Chow Funn Noodles, cooked
- 2 stalks green onion, cut 1-inch, lengths
Cut char siu and luncheon meat in thin strips. Heat oil in skillet or wok. Add char siu, luncheon meat, and ginger, cook until lightly browned. Add carrots, celery, and onions and cook until half done. Add bean sprouts, salt, oyster sauce, and MSG; stir lightly. Add chow funn. Cook for 1 minute.
Add green onions just before serving. Garnish with Chinese parsley.
Note: You can double the recipe to make a great pot luck dish.