Pineapple Haupia Pie
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 cup flour
1/4 cup mixed and unsalted nuts (pecans, walnuts, pistachios and cashews), finely chopped
1/2 tsp kosher salt
Zest of 1 lemon
2 cups coconut milk
2 cups coconut cream
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1 tsp kosher salt
1 cup water
3/4 cup cornstarch
1 medium fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and sliced
1. Make the crust first by mixing together the sugar, flour, chopped nuts, salt and lemon zest. Drizzle the butter over the dry ingredients and combine until small crumbles form. Press the crust evenly into a 9? pie dish and bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until browned along the edges and the bottom. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
2. As the crust cools, stir the coconut milk, coconut cream, milk, sugar, vanilla and salt together in a large sauce pan set over medium heat. Heat until the sugar fully dissolves, approximately 3-5 minutes.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the water and cornstarch and add to the coconut mixture. Continue to cook over medium heat until glossy, smooth and very thick, approximately 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
4. Give the haupia a good stir before pouring it into the prebaked shell leaving about 1/4 of space between the haupia and the edge of the crust. Top with the pineapple pieces then slide into the fridge to chill completely, approximately 2 hours.
5. If desired, sprinkle each slice with shredded coconut and toasted macadamia nuts, along with a dollop of freshly whipped cream.