Haupia Float (Similar To Almond Float)
Remember when you would go to a chinese restaurant in Hawaii and at the end of the meal, the waitress would bring you a bowl of fruit cocktail with white cubes of almond gelatin floating in it? I don't know if it really had a name, but we used to call it Almond Float. The white cubes were almond and milk flavored gelatin. It was always a welcomed treat after a heavy chinese meal (and it was free).
It got me wanting to try something similar but made with fruit that you would find in hawaii such as pineapple, mango, papaya, lychee. Here is what I came up with.....
16 ounces Coconut Milk (2 Cups)
1/2 Cup Sugar
1 Teaspoon Salt
3 Tablespoons Cornstarch
1/4 Cup Water
1 Can Lychee w/syrup
2 Cans Tropical Fruit Cocktail w/syrup of if you can use fresh pineapple, papaya, mangoes etc.
1 Can Mandarin Oranges
- Heat Coconut Milk in Med Pot (do not boil)
- In mixing bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch, water, salt and mix well
- Stir contents of mixing bowl into warm coconut milk
- Whisk constantly over med-low heat until mixture thickens
- Pour mixture into 8x8 pan and refrigerate for 1 hour
- Take Haupia out of refrigerator and cut into 1/2" squares
- Pour canned fruit into bowl and add haupia squares gently mixing
- Serve Chilled