Laing (Taro Leaves in Coconut Milk)
25 pieces dried taro root (dahon ng gabi)
.75 lb pork, cut into small cubes
4 cups coconut milk
2 cups water
1 big head of garlic, minced
2 small onions, minced
1 tablespoon ginger, grated
½ cup small dried shrimps, soaked
6 pieces bird’s eye chili (siling labuyo), minced
½ cup alamang (shrimp paste)
3 tablespoons oil
1. Wash dried taro root and separate leaves from stalks.
2. Discard the prickly part of the stalk and cut into an inch.
3. In a pan, sauté garlic, onion, ginger, pork meat and stir.
4. Add in dried shrimp, siling labuyo, alamang, and the stalks.
5. Cook until stalks are tender.
6. Stuff Taro root leaf with 2 tablespoons of mixture. Wrap well.
7. Arrange stuffed leaves in a casserole and pour in coconut milk.
8. Cook until coconut cream excretes its oil and stuffed leaves are cooked well.