Easy Chocolate Haupia Cake
For those of you who don't like complicated recipes but love amazing desserts, this one is for you! Its a chocolate cake with haupia coconut pudding between the layers and on top. This recipe starts with a store-bought cake mix.
- 1 package (18.5 ounces) chocolate cake mix
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 can (12 ounces) frozen coconut milk, thawed or
- 1 can (13.5 ounces) good quality canned coconut milk
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder (optional)
- Chocolate curls or freshly grated coconut
Prepare and bake cake mix in a 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan according to package directions. Let cool on wire racks. Carefully split cake into two long thin layers.
Haupia: In a sauce pan, combine sugar, cornstarch, and water. Stir in coconut milk. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
Spread haupia between layers and on top of cake. Let stand until firm.
To serve: whip cream, add powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Frost entire cake on the top and sides. Sprinkle chocolate curls and or cocoa powder on whipped cream.