Zippy's Macaroni Salad
In Hawaii, everyone has their go-to place for macaroni or potato macaroni salad. Since so many people have been asking for this recipe, I was asked to post it. This recipe was provided to me by someone that used to work at Zippy's in Hawaii and actually made the salad every day.
- 1 small package small elbow macaroni
- 1 cup mayonnaise (best foods is best)
- 1 tablespoon finely minced onions
- 2 tablespoons finely minced celery
- 1 small carrot finely minced
- salt & pepper to taste.
Cook macaroni according to package instructions. You want the macaroni cooked but not soggy. Rinse cooked macaroni with cold water, drain and put aside in refrigerator until completely cooled.
Mince onions, carrots and celery until extremely fine. I like to use a food processor. Once macaroni is completely cool (cold is best), add mayonnaise, salt, pepper and onion, celery, carrots. Mix well. Add additional mayonnaise if necessary, especially before serving.
- do not overcook macaroni
- be sure to rinse, drain and cool macaroni before mixing
- only use best foods mayonnaise, that is what Hawaii uses...no miracle whip!!
- Before serving, always finish salad by adding more mayonnaise if necessary, salt and pepper.