KATHY MUNENO FRESH STRAWBERRY PIE
Cooking Hawaiian Style was lucky enough to have Kathy Muneno joins us in our kitchen. Kathy has been an anchor at KHON2 since 2007, with a total of more than 25 years in broadcast news in Hawaii. Kathy has written and produced several specials.
She won an Emmy Award for a program called “SEARCH Hawai‘i: Where Food Meets Culture”; a Society of Professional Journalists Hawai‘i Chapter Award for Best Documentary for “Hokule'a: Her Farthest Journey”; and an SPJ award for a feature article in Ka Wai Ola and Won 2 Eddie and Ozzie Awards for feature articles in Wailea Magazine.
Kathy volunteers at Children’s Justice Center of O‘ahu and the Polynesian Voyaging Society. Kathy is the youngest of 7 children and is the mother of twins. Kathy just recently left KHON2 news to spend more time with her kids on the weekends. Lucky for us, she will still be producing what she calls “passion projects” so I hope to see her on TV soon. This week Kathy shares a recipe she loves to make that she found at http://www.tasteofhome.com
- Line unpricked crust with a double thickness of foil or parchment paper.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 8 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake 5 minutes more.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and water until smooth.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in gelatin until it dissolves.
- Refrigerate until slightly cooled, 15-20 minutes.
- While cooling, arrange strawberries in the crust.
- Pour gelatin mixture over strawberries.
- Refrigerate until set.
- Serve with whipped cream.
Serve with whipped cream.