Portuguese Sausage and Beef Goulash
This is a dish that my mother used to make for her Dad who has Hungarian roots. Its a Hungarian goulash made with beef and Portuguese sausage - a typical Sunday dinner with my family.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, rough chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 2-pound chuck roast, trimmed and cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1-2 Portuguese sausages, sliced ( I use one mild, one spicy)
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 cups red wine
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Preheat your oven to 325 F.
Heat the oil and butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low, add the onions, garlic and peppers and cook about 10 minutes. Add paprika and caraway seeds and continue cooking for a minute or two. Add beef, Portuguese sausage, carrots, red wine, bay leaves and salt. bring to a low boil, then transfer to the oven. Cover and bake until the beef is tender, about 3 hours. Remove from oven and test to ensure that the meat is tender. Add red wine vinegar and serve with rice or potatoes.