Portuguese Sausage & Cabbage Soup
A nice flavorful Portuguese Sausage and Cabbage Soup that can be served as a starter dish or as a meal.
- 1 small can tomato sauce
- 12 ounces Portuguese Sausage or Polish sausage, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 onion (6 oz.), peeled and chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 5 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1 bottle (12 oz.) wheat beer (hefeweizen)
- 1 pound thin-skinned potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
- 1 1/2 quarts finely shredded cabbage (8 to 12 oz.; see notes)
- 1 cup sliced carrots (1/4 in. thick; see notes)
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Whole-grain mustard
1. In a 5- to 6-quart pan over medium-high heat, stir sausage often until lightly browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Spoon out and discard all but 1 tablespoon fat from pan.
2. Add onion and garlic to pan; stir often until limp, 3 minutes.
3. Increase heat to high. Add broth, beer, tomato sauce, potatoes, cabbage, carrots, coriander, allspice, and peppercorns (wrap and tie spices in cheesecloth if desired). Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender to bite, 10 to 15 minutes. Discard spices if wrapped.
4. Stir in parsley. Ladle soup into bowls. Serve mustard alongside to add