Beef Adobo Salpicao
- 1 cup thinly sliced shallots (4 to 6 large)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds top sirloin steak, cut into 3/4-in. chunks
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Aloha shoyu
- 2 tablespoons coconut vinegar* or 4 tsp. cider vinegar
In a 12-in. frying pan over medium heat, cook shallots in oils, stirring often, until deep golden, 7 to 8 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer shallots to paper towels. Discard all but 2 tbsp. oil from pan.
Increase heat to high. Add beef to frying pan; cook until browned on underside, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in garlic and bay leaf. Turn meat; when second side is brown, stir in pepper, soy sauce, and vinegar. Boil until reduced by half, 1 to 2 minutes. Spoon meat into a bowl and top with shallots.