Roy's Seared Ahi w/Lilikoi Shrimp Salsa
This Seared Ahi with Lilikoi Shrimp Salsais a recipe from Chef Roy Yamaguchi of Roy's Restaurant.
- Ahi Tuna steaks for 4 people
- 1 ripe passion fruit, halved
- 4 ounces extra large shrimp (about 4) peeled, deveined, and diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cup Maui or other sweet white onion, minced
- 1 large Roma tomato, peeled, seeded, and finely diced
- 2 tablespoons scallion (including green parts), finely diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Scoop the seeds and pulp from the passion fruit with a spoon and press it through a fine-mesh sieve. Reserve the juice (about 1 tablespoon) and discard the seeds and pulp. Put the shrimp in a small bowl and toss with the olive oil to coat. Set a dry stainless-steel sauté pan over high heat and, when hot, add the shrimp. Sear, turning often until evenly pink, about one minute.
Transfer to a non-reactive bowl and add the reserved passion fruit juice, onion, tomato, scallion, cilantro, Tabasco sauce, and salt and pepper to taste. Toss well to combine. Cover and refrigerate.
Put the ahi on a plate, coat with peanut oil, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Set a dry cast-iron skillet over high heat for 2-3 minutes and, when hot, sear the ahi for about 30 seconds on each side for rare, or about 1-1/2 minutes on each side for medium-rare. Transfer the ahi to serving plates and spoon salsa over the tuna, letting the juices from the salsa run onto the plates.