Lychee Pear Strudel
- 3 each Phyllo Dough (sheets)
- 1/4 cup Melted Butter
- 1/3 cup Coconut (toasted, shredded)
- 2 cup canned Lychee, halved
- 1/4 cup macadamia nuts chopped
- 1/4 cup Raisins soaked in sake
- 3 tbsp Candied Ginger
- 1 1/2 cups fresh Asian Pear (peeled, diced)
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Lime Juice
- 1 tbsp lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Five Spice Powder
- 1 tbsp Plum Wine
- Sugar (confectioner's)
1. Soak your golden raisins in plum wine overnight or longer.
2. Depending on the ingredients available to you, mix appropriate quantities up so as to fill the dough. You can certainly use more or less of each ingredient to suit your individual tastes. You'll need about four cups total filling.
3. Spread the two sheets of dough out on your work surface, one on top of the other. Paint the top layer of dough with some of the melted better and then spread a nice thin layer of toasted coconut over the entire pastry.
4. Pour your filling along the long edge of the dough, and roll the dough up as tightly as possible (remember to fold in the ends as you roll so the ends are "sealed") and put on a non-stick baking sheet.
5. Paint the top of the roll with melted butter and bake at 350 F until the dough is golden brown.
6. When done, take the strudel out of the oven and let it cool on a rack. Just before serving, sprinkle a little powdered sugar over the top. Garnish with fresh fruit, whipped cream, caramel sauce if you prefer.