JENNIFER ZELKO-SCHLUETERs TOFU STIR FRY
This season Hawaiian Electric joins the Cooking Hawaiian Style ohana. Jennifer Zelko-Schlueter is the Manager of Government and Community Relations at Hawaii Electric Light Company. She earned a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Hawaii at Hilo in Psychology and her Juris Doctorate from Gonzaga University’s School of Law.
She serves on numerous boards including: Hawaii Health Systems Corporations East Hawaii Region, University of Hawaii at Hilo Alumni & Friends, Na Leo ‘O Hawaii, and the HFS Federal Credit Union. She is also a member of the Hawaii Island Chamber of Commerce, Hawaii County Bar Association and Hawaii State Bar Association. Jennifer was born and raised in Hilo. She serves as a Hawai‘i-Island liaison and on the Kama‘aina of the Year committee. Jennifer joined us in the Cooking Hawaiian Style kitchen and shared her Tofu Stir Fry recipe.
• 4 cloves garlic, minced, divided
• 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
• 1 tablespoon honey
• 1 teaspoon siracha
• ¼ cup lime juice
• ¼ cup reduced sodium soy sauce
• 1 block extra firm tofu
• 4 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
• 1 small onion, sliced
• 1 large carrot, sliced
• ½ cup edamame, frozen, thawed
• 3 cups soba noodle, cooked
• 1 tablespoon sesame seed
• green onion, chopped, to serve
- In a medium bowl, add the soy sauce, lime juice, honey, ginger, and chili sauce and stir to combine. Set aside .
- Wrap the tofu in a dish towel then place a plate on top.
- Allow to drain for 10-15 minutes then remove the plate, unwrap the tofu, and slice into cubes.
- In a wok or large frying pan heat 2 tablespoons of sesame oil over medium heat.
- Add the tofu and pan fry for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and the onion and stir until softened, about 1 minute.
- Add in the edamame, and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 2-3