Stuffed Quail & Beef Tenderloin & Foie Gras w/Portobello Mushroom
This delicious stuffed quail recipe was provided compliments of world famous Chef Chai of Chai's Island Bistro, Dining Out with Chai & Singha Thai Restaurant.
•4 pieces of boneless quail
•4 strips of beef tenderloin about 2-3 ounces portion
•1 tablespoon vegetable oi
•1 tablespoon butter
•1 large piece of Portobello mushroom cut to ¼ inch thick
•1 cup fresh Shiitake mushroom
•1/4 cup of White wine
•2/3 cup dried cranberry
•1/3 tablespoon chopped garlic
•1/2 tablespoon chopped shallot
•Salt and pepper to taste
•½ tablespoon chopped fresh herbs (equal part of parsley, thyme and tarragon)
•4 strips of Foie Gras
•4 slices Proscuitto
•4 strips caul fat
•2 large potatoes cut in to small thin string with a vegetable curler
•1 cup vegetable oil to cook the quail
•2 cups mashed potato
•1 cup of beef or veal stock
- Season beef tenderloin with salt and pepper and pan sear with high heat to a rare or medium rare. Set aside.
- Sear Foie gras with medium heat until it turns to a light brown, set aside.
- In a sauté pan with medium heat, brown the mushrooms with oil and butter.
Then add shallot and garlic cook for half minute, add dried cranberry and white wine. Lightly season with salt and pepper and cook until there is no liquid, toss in fresh herbs. Set aside to let it cool down.
- Stuff the quail with beef tenderloin, foie gras and mushroom mixture until the quail is full. Wrap the quail with Proscuitto and caul fat, pan sear quickly. Set aside, caul fat will shrink and hold the stuffing in place.
- Wrap the quail with potato string and pan sear until the quail is cooked.
Serve with mashed potato and veal stock.